Author Topic: Trying the 3-2-1 for ribs  (Read 3659 times)

milleti

Trying the 3-2-1 for ribs
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »
So this is my first try for these, using 3 oz. of hickory.  Rubbed the ribs with mustard and then applied a nice rub which is more on the sweet side with not much spice.  They are now on the last hour with a honey spice sauce on them for the last hour.  If these things taste as good as they smell, pigs really can fly!  Guess it didn't help to put that foil in the kitchen garbage can, the house smells great which is making this last hour pass so slowly.
Tim

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Trying the 3-2-1 for ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
Sounds good, Milleti.  Many of us have found that the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods just aren't necessary in these smokers.  They're just so moisture-controlled that the "traditional" methods just aren't needed!

Next time you cook ribs, go 5 hours @ 225. without peeking or wrapping, and see what you think.  You'll find you have ribs that are just as moist, and have a better bark than wrapped ribs.  This is a constant debate on here, so take this for what it's worth! ;D   I just say try it, and see if it works for you!  That's what makes these smokers so great!...."Lazy Q" at its finest!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

milleti

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
DivotMaker,

Will try it without the foil next time.  The 3-2-1s turned out great, momma really raved about them (photo attached) but she also said to give your recommendation a try.  Momma is very supportive of creating good Q.
Tim

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
The ribs look great.  After you do the no wrap method let us know which you liked better & what you perceived the difference was.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
Ain't nothing wrong with those, Milleti!  Let us know if you become a "no peeky" convert! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
milleti - welcome

I did the foil routine before and really did not notice a difference. What I did notice is that it added time to the smoke, let heat out of the smoker, and reminded me of why I retired my stick burner (tending to the equipment).  The ribs were good but for my old tastebuds, the extra steps just were not worth the effort.

The great thing about smoking (and you see this at competitions), every one has their favorite method. Whatever works for you and yours is what counts. And experimenting is tasty fun.

Happy smoking.

DAve
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:25:51 AM »
I agree with  Divot and Sarge.   I did the 2-2-1 method several times before converting to the 5 hour unwrapped method.   The only change for me is I take them out after about 4 hours, apply some sauce, and then back in the smoker for the last hour or so.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

milleti

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »
DivotMaker, made the ribs as you suggested and momma is doing cartwheels over them.  She said they were just great, much better than the 3-2-1s.  Thanks so much for the suggestion, you ever make it to Florida I have a cold beer for you!
Tim

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
Awesome, Tim!  Glad the ribs were a hit!  That's what we're all about here - good Q!!  Thanks for the cold one! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas