Author Topic: Transporting a smoker in a car  (Read 2515 times)

smbarber

Transporting a smoker in a car
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
Hi everyone. I just ordered a Model 1 and I can't wait until it gets here. This will be my first smoker. I'm planning on smoking some ribs in it this weekend, and possibly taking it out to my buddy's ranch about an hour away to smoke some more meats out there the next day. Question is, I don't have a truck, and my only option is to put the smoker in the back of my relatively new car. Is my car going to smell like smoked hickory forever? Should I clean out the smoker before transport to prevent this? Or are there any other pro tips to keep the smoker smells from infiltrating the car interior? Maybe I am overthinking it and the smell won't be that bad. Any help appreciated.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Transporting a smoker in a car
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »
I wouldn't do it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

smbarber

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Lol that's kind of what I was thinking, too. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will just smoke the meat most of the way before I head out there and re-heat in the oven.

Sean

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
So, transporting right after you smoke the ribs?

If you leave it wide open after smoking the ribs to cool down and clean it out, I don’t think it’s an issue. I’ve transported my dads #2 in my equinox, and it didn’t leave a smoke aroma afterwards, but it also wasn’t right after he had smoked.

Ribs hold well wrapped in foil in a cooler.  You could go a few hours early on the smoke so it gives a little more time to cool and clean. And have great ribs and then smoked meat at your buddies!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

smbarber

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 07:38:24 PM »
Thanks, that's a good idea. I might start early on the initial smoke then let it cool off for a few hours and reassess. I would definitely like to be able to transport it in the car at some point in the future, to other people's houses/parties etc. It's good to know that I can do so after letting it cool down/cleaning a bit. I just don't want to ruin my car. Thanks for the advice.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »
Sean - Should you decide to transport, make sure it is free of grease drippings and wood box ash and pack it in the box it came in.  That should help. Your local hardware store might have 55 gallon drum liners.  They should be large enough to set your smoker in for transport.  Enjoy your smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:38:48 AM »
If all I had was a car and this is something I really wanted to be able to do then I'd get a hitch receiver installed and one of those hitch platforms and strap the smoker on that.  (https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lbs-capacity-heavy-duty-folding-cargo-carrier-62660.html)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 05:55:55 AM »
What Jeremy said...
“Ribs hold well wrapped in foil in a cooler.  You could go a few hours early on the smoke so it gives a little more time to cool and clean. And have great ribs and then smoked meat at your buddies!”
AnD...
You can find a cambro pan carrier (see attached) for transporting and resting.
Also works good from holding product from grocery store, Costco, etc when you might have another quick stop to make. With traffic as it is, it’s also good to transport ice cream from Sams Club back to the house although I can neither confirm or deny that I do such a thing. Can be had for under $40.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

smbarber

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »
All great ideas. Thanks again. I will probably go the hitch/cargo carrier route in the future.

Sean

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 10:39:44 PM »
Forgot to mention I have kept 1 brisket and 6 racks of ribs holding hot for 4+ hours. Could easily hold 2 hunks of goodness.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LuvMyQ

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
I cannot think of smoked meat that cannot be held for a few hours in a cambro.  I’m fact, the resting is even advantageous. 

It if your desire to transport your SI is so you can be with buddies/family while smoking, I think the tips mentioned by others serve as good advice.

BTW, after you have several smokes in the SI, the seasoning of the smoker holds the smell.  I use a cover on mine.  When I remove the cover, I immediately get that present aroma. 
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

Jimeo

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
I’ve taken my #2 to the beach many times (in the trunk of my father in laws rental 😀) and haven’t heard a complaint from him about smell.  Get a giant lawn/leaf bag and stick the #1 in. One my favorite things about my SI is it’s mobile!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310