Author Topic: Latest Smokinlicious Shipment  (Read 2518 times)

Jumanji

Latest Smokinlicious Shipment
« on: July 04, 2022, 03:42:01 PM »
A few years ago, I purchased a box of wood from Smokinlicious.  Their "double filet" cut, in cherry, hickory and maple.  I have a 3D, and whereas most of the smokes call for 3 oz of wood, I would just take one of the wood chunks and split it into pieces and place over the holes in the wood box.  I found if you use pieces too think, they didn't burn completely.  But overall was very happy with the wood.

Just received a second order, again double filet cut.  Overall the individual pieces were about the same size 1.5x1.5x3 inches.  But this box looks like a bunch of cut up 2x4's.  The biggest issue I have with it is the direction of the grain runs in the short direction.  (The old order, and all of their pictures, has the grain running in the long direction.)  With the old wood, if you split it, you ended up with a piece that fit across the wood box and covered the holes.  This stuff is going to split in very small pieces.  A lot of work compared to the old stuff.  Plus something about ordering wood advertised to be hand crafted and hand filet, but instead looks like construction boards cut up.

See the box of wood for latest order.  The other pic shows 2 pieces of wood from previous order, vs latest order single piece on the left.

Anyone else have this issue?  I love their wood, and no bark, low humidity, etc.  But it looks like they've changed.  What other alternatives are there?

Finally, it is necessary to split this wood?  When I've used some thicker pieces, I end up with partially burned wood when I empty the firebox.  Which is why I now split it into smaller pieces, and distribute over the holes in the firebox.  Anyone using the thicker pieces of wood without splitting into around 3/8 inch thick pieces?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 04:09:37 PM by Jumanji »
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Latest Smokinlicious Shipment
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 05:21:23 PM »
Although I generally split, I've never had a problem with just using a large single chunk.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

colecp

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
No offense, but I can't wrap my head around buying overpriced " filets " of wood. I specifically moved on from a Bradley smoker, which served me well for many years, for this reason. Surely there's a better source for good smoking wood. Again, no offense, I'd just love to hear why folks think carefully cut wood filets are worth the ( to me ) astronomical price. Thanks for listening!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 09:15:00 PM »
Best advice I can give is to search the web for smoking wood.  Find one you like at the right price and stick with it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

colecp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:08:56 PM »
Good advice Old Sarge! I guess that's what it ultimately boils down to!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

Jumanji

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 03:36:13 PM »
I don't find $42 for a box of three types of low humidity, working-sized, no bark, heartwood to be expensive.  Especially when I look at the bags of chips, and chunks available, what they cost, and having to buy multiple bags to get a mix of wood types.  The last box of wood lasted almost five years.  To me, it's nice to have confidence in the wood, especially given what we are paying for the meat these days, the time and effort required to smoke, etc.  But to each his own.

I don't care for the new cut that Smokinlicious is doing.  Have exchanged some emails with them, and this appears to be the new norm vs the stuff that was split in the long direction, plus didn't look machine processed.  The reply indicated this was safer to produce, as well as reduced waste given that wood price has increased 600% apparently.  I'll probably still split it into smaller pieces, and suspect it will burn just as good.  Also, when I looked at alternatives, it appears that saw-cut squares or rectangles are more the norm (even Smokin-It), or wood chunks that may or may not be split, typically have bark, and are dried to some questionable degree.  Either way, paying too much for wood isn't going to break the bank.  IMHO
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

colecp

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »
Good point Jumanji. At first glance my knee jerk was that they were over priced. Now that you've put it in perspective, that's quite reasonable. I was thinking it was akin to the Bradley pucks, but five years of use out of a $42 expenditure is much, much more reasonable. Thanks for opening my eyes!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

OldeSmoker

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 11:58:17 AM »
I use Smokinlicious wood and generally don’t split it. I do use the foil boat method and the wood turns into a chunk of charcoal after the smoke. Once in a while the chunk of wood is still solid in the center and sometimes I get a little ash. Overall it smokes very well and I don’t get the belch caused by wood combustion. I agree the box of wood lasts a very long time.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

colecp

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 06:06:18 PM »
I recently received my box of wild cherry, hickory and white oak smokinlicious "filets". Based on everyone's high opinion of the product, I figured it was time to check it out. I'm sold. Great first smoke with it! (A bastardized char siu baby back rib.) I used wild cherry and it performed very well. Thanks for opening my eyes to the notion that wood is also an ingredient that should be sourced for quality. Prior to this, I was of the mindset that " wood was wood". Live and learn!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 08:44:07 AM »
I have been using smokinlicious wood for 6 or more years now and have been very satisfied with the cut of the wood chunks and the performance of the wood.   Now on my third box, I think the moisture content of their wood is perfect to minimize any issues with combustion and the cuts fit perfectly in my #2 wood box.    You will enjoy this wood!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2