Author Topic: tri-tip  (Read 2153 times)

Finally Smokin

tri-tip
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
hello all
tri tip, to brine or not to brine. If you brine what is your recipe? Smoke temp? Internal temp?
Thank you in advance for all the assistance.
Roland
Spring Lake, NC

barelfly

Re: tri tip
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 11:43:33 PM »
Howdy!

I dry brine all of the red meat that I cook, and really most all meat. I will pat dry the meat and sprinkle kosher salt on all sides and let it set in the fridge for at least a few hours, if not over night, to get into the meat.

For a tri tip, after the dry brine, I’ll brush with a little oil and then a rub of my choice, sometimes a Santa Maria style rub, or something from Oak Ridge BBQ like Carne Crosta, are my two rubs of choice. Then, I’ll go low and slow cooking at a 225* temp to get to an internal temp or 125-130*. From there, a short rest out of the 3D or kettle grill and I’ll get the gasser screaming hot or use a chimney full of coal for the final sear to get the outside charred up, maybe 2 minutes total (flipping every 30 seconds, 4 times).

Then I’ll slice and serve with some type of side. Tri tip is great! I just bought two more from Costco and vac sealed them up and into the freezer for a later date.

Hope you enjoy them!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Finally Smokin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »
Thank you,
I will be giving this try.
Roland
Spring Lake, NC

mike1910

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:39:29 AM »
Tri Tip is fantastic. Best of luck with your smoke!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
If you have the time, I would always recommend to brine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Finally Smokin

Re: tri-tip
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 11:03:23 AM »
Would you dry or wet brine?
Roland
Spring Lake, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: tri-tip
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
I typically wet brine for most things, but I do use a dry brine when making bacon.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.