Author Topic: Cheesy Smoked Meatballs  (Read 6600 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Cheesy Smoked Meatballs
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
I tried Jeff Phillip's recipe for Cheesy Smoked Meatballs (http://www.smoking-meat.com/january-29-2015-cheesy-smoked-meatballs-for-super-bowl) today.   I followed all of the measurements for the recipe, but I did not sauce the meatballs after they went to the smoker.   I smoked the meatballs with 2oz of apple wood from MGW at 225F.

The recipe says the meatballs take about an hour, so I let them go 1:15hrs before checking the IT.  At that point, they were around 155F, so I let them go another half hour.   That was a tad too much as the meatballs were around 170IT at that point.  So, I think 1.5hrs would have handled it.

I made my meatballs in 3oz size, which was too big.  Next time, I am going for more like 2oz.   Not sure what Jeff's meatball size was, but I ended up with 17 meatballs at 3oz, which clearly is not enough for 20 people as called for in the recipe!

They were tasty, though.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Cheesy Smoked Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
Glad you tried them, Steve!  They looked good in his newsletter.  How was the taste?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
They had a nice taste, I got a nice taste of the apple wood.  The jalapenos definitely gave them a bit of kick as well!   The next go round will be better with smaller sized meatballs and removing them sooner when they hit 160IT.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »
Thanks Steve!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
Basically same recipe, passed on yogurt and peppers.  Hour 1/2 to temp on smoker.  Use any favorite rub mixed with meat.  Beef and breakfast sausage from the butcher.   Leftovers will make great sliders char up on the grill.   

I used motz cheese on the inside.

Good recipe.

I added pasta and beans to make it "healthy".   

Family loved it.

This would be a good slow cook on charcoal too I think.  Meat just needed some darkening in my opine.

If you look close I lost one to the bottom of the smoker.  Use seafood racks if you make small meatballs.   One rack was 2 lb meat.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
Those look tasty. Gonna have to add them to the "list" of things to try.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
Looks great, John!   Your meatballs were about the size of the ones I did...I think I got 17 from the recipe.    We had about 5 or 6 left over this week that I broke up and made a pasta sauce...outstanding smoky flavor!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »
I just saved that recipe. Looks like a fun appetizer.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
I tried Jeff Phillip's recipe for Cheesy Smoked Meatballs (http://www.smoking-meat.com/january-29-2015-cheesy-smoked-meatballs-for-super-bowl) today.   I followed all of the measurements for the recipe, but I did not sauce the meatballs after they went to the smoker.   I smoked the meatballs with 2oz of apple wood from MGW at 225F.

The recipe says the meatballs take about an hour, so I let them go 1:15hrs before checking the IT.  At that point, they were around 155F, so I let them go another half hour.   That was a tad too much as the meatballs were around 170IT at that point.  So, I think 1.5hrs would have handled it.

I made my meatballs in 3oz size, which was too big.  Next time, I am going for more like 2oz.   Not sure what Jeff's meatball size was, but I ended up with 17 meatballs at 3oz, which clearly is not enough for 20 people as called for in the recipe!

They were tasty, though.

They look great, I think maybe even some BBQ sauce on top!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
They were dry, so BBQ sauce was the only way out!   Give it a try, but I would recommend smaller meatballs and less time in the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

S and M

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »
Wanted to bring something to a Easter get together so these are what I've decided on.   I'm following the recipe from Steve's original post (substituted rub & sauce) and going to use 2.5 oz Hickory at 225.   I will let it run for about 55 minutes prior to checking and go from there.  Pic's to follow
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
How were the meatballs?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2