Author Topic: Smoked Tomato Sauce  (Read 4160 times)

nikgregory

• Nik, #2, Weber Summit, hole in the ground
    • www.nikgregory.org
Smoked Tomato Sauce
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
This year apparently has been a banner year for tomatoes at the farm that grows our vegs and I found myself with more tomatoes than I know what to do with. With 10 pounds of the 'maters sitting on the counter I had the nutty idea to smoke roast them (rather than oven roasted - which I did to another 10 pounds of tomatoes).

Take your time and enjoy my trials, tribulations and eventual joy and success. This made about 3 quarts of sauce.

The start:
  • 8 pounds Roma tomatoes halved and stems removed
  • 3 oz mequite chunks <-- this was too much prob 1.5 oz would be better
  • kosher salt
  • olive oil

The middle:
  • 2 pounds halved tomatoes with stems removed

The Finish:
  • 2 medium onions very finely diced
  • 6 cloves of garlic very finely minced
  • 1 tbls fresh sage finely chopped
  • 1 tbls fresh rosemary finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste

Take the 8 pounds or tomatoes and lay cut side down on 1/2 sheet pan in a single layer.  Get the bright idea that this just might not fit into the #2 (it doesn't).
Scramble around for smaller jelly roll pans and settle on 2 pyrex baking dishes and the metal tray from your toaster oven.
Note to self to get some 1/4 sheet jelly roll pans.
Sprinkle kosher salt over the tops of the tomatoes
Drizzle Olive oil over the tops
Into the smoker @ 250 for 2-2.5 hours
Take out mmm...mmm... smells good
Take a taste... Starts out nice but ends bitter... Over smoked.

So what to do!
I still had two pounds of tomatoes to deal with that had not been cooked.
So take everything from the smoker transfer into a large roasting pan
Add 2 pounds of halved and stemmed tomatoes mix and pop into a 350F oven for 1-1.5 hours.

Take out of the oven and scratch head.  What is all this extra liquid?  This does not happen when oven roasting.  I suspect that the smoker retains a significantly larger amount of moisture than an over for two reasons 1) not as hot, 2) no real vent to emit moisture.

Now to the finish:
There is still some bitterness and gobs of tomato juice (and I use that term loosely) in the roasting pan so instead of whole roasted tomatoes, lets make a sauce.

Transfer all the contents of the roasting pan into a very large sauce pan.
Blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
Add the garlic, onion, rosemary and sage.
Simmer at low to medium heat till reduced by 1/4 to 1/2 stirring occasionally(about 1-2 hours).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Lessons learned:
  • Too much smoke is bad don't try and eyeball wood chunk amounts.
  • 1/2 Sheet pans don't fit into the #2
  • Stuff does not dry out as much in the smoker (this should have been a duh!)
  • Smoked/roasted marinara tastes really good.
Nik, NE Massachusetts, #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Smoked Tomato Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
Hey Gregory, This sounds like a good idea, Not sure about smoking the tomatoes though. Also was wondering where you are located as I am in Kansas City and my tomatoes did not do very good at all. I only ended with about 6 quarts of canned tomato sauce. I did pick about 15 more today and also about that many green ones. I have them in a brown paper sack so will get maybe another 5 quarts. I hope this will last me thru the winter. As will use one quart for spaghetti sauce. Also I have a post from divotmaker for you http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=999.0. And really would have liked to see some photos on your post.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
Low and slow roma's are nice

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3418.msg27305#msg27305

I do this often for 2 adults and a 4 year old.   
\
Never tried smoked.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

nikgregory

• Nik, #2, Weber Summit, hole in the ground
    • www.nikgregory.org
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Hey Gregory, This sounds like a good idea, Not sure about smoking the tomatoes though. Also was wondering where you are located as I am in Kansas City and my tomatoes did not do very good at all. I only ended with about 6 quarts of canned tomato sauce. I did pick about 15 more today and also about that many green ones. I have them in a brown paper sack so will get maybe another 5 quarts. I hope this will last me thru the winter. As will use one quart for spaghetti sauce. Also I have a post from divotmaker for you http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=999.0. And really would have liked to see some photos on your post.

(Nik... Gregory is my last name)
I am up in North East Massachusetts and we get our produce from a CSA in New Hampshire. (picadilly farms) Typically I will buy a bushel each year to process into sauces over the winter
- A tomato basil pesto
- A coarse roasted tomato sauce
- A strained and 'fine' tomato sauce.

This year we have all three pretty well covered (probably 2gals of each in the freezer) and I did not buy any extra AND we were getting more from the farm... So I was in an experimenting mood.

I figure I am going to use the sauce as a base for a bolognese or as part of a braising liquid.

Sorry about the lack of pictures all I have now is the stuff in a jar which is kind of boring.

I would say give the smoking a try (if you have extra) but cut the wood amount.

Since I am cruel, I have added a shot of me finishing off 50 pounds of chicken for a nieces wedding.
Nik, NE Massachusetts, #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
Looks like a great yard bird feast, Nik!!  Just not much better than chicken on the grill (except SI chicken, minus the crispy skin  ;) ).  Love your idea on tomatoes!  If you want to get them more "dried," get a James jerky dryer.  It removes the moisture, which is great for drying veggies, jerky, sausage, or anything you want to pull the moisture out of!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »
A wedding with jeans on and a huge grill.  That's living the life!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
Hey Nik, Around here this summer tomatoes were going for $1.00 per tomato at the farmers market. I was kind of lucky that mine did produce enough to keep me in bacon and tomato sandwiches. And did get 5 or 6 quarts, right now am setting on about 25 tomatoes, and 15 large green ones in a brown paper sack. So should be able to get maybe 4 more quarts. The chicken looks awesome, hope you had good weather for the wedding.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri