Author Topic: Chuck Roast Sucess  (Read 2947 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Chuck Roast Sucess
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
I made my first attempt at a chuck roast. Starting with the recipe attached here, I made my own version.  While I call it a success, I think I can do better.  My objective was juicy and tender and for the most part, that's what I got.  It was only slightly dry on the edges.  This was a test so I used a 2.25 pound angus chuck.
Loosely following the directions, I tied the roast to get a compact product.  After that I did a dry brine of kosher salt and coarse grind pepper for 20 hours. My model 1 was set at 215 as my smoker seems to run in a range of the set temperature plus 25 degrees.  Smoke came from 2.4oz of a 50/50 mix of hickory and pecan.  Maybe I'll substitute cherry for the pecan next time or just maybe add some cherry.  At 160 IT I wrapped it in foil.  Back in the smoker to an IT of 198. I turned off the unit and cracked the door to let the temp drop slowly.  Next time I'm going to stop the cooking at 190 to see of I can eliminate the slight dryness around the edges.  All in all It was a good first try.

LuvMyQ

Re: Chuck Roast Sucess
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Adding that to my list of inspiration for future smokes.  Looks good.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
I love chuck roast! And this looks wonderful! I have never sliced a chuck when cooking to that IT. But it looks great.

When I smoke to a temp as high you did, I will usually pull it. Yours doesn’t look dried out though like you mentioned, especially since you wrapped it at 160. If I want a sliced chuck, I will do a smoke for a few hours then bag it and into a water bath with my Sous Vide to a lower temp, usually 130* or so, for 2-3 days to get a great texture but that slight medium-rare cooked color.

But it looks great! What kind of run did you use?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
After some research, I think the slight dryness that I mentioned will not be a problem at 190IT.

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
Late input but I do chuck roast burnt ends quite often and have done up to an 8lb chucky. I give it an olive oil and McCormick brown sugar bourbon spice rub and inject it with a cup of beef broth and let it sit til morning and I go 225 and pull It when I hit 185. Around 9.5-11 hours depending on size of the roast. Comes out awesome every time.
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

prudentsmoker

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:29:11 AM »
These are great suggestions and I look forward to trying them especially the sous vide. Having said that, if you are ever in need of one to do in the crock pot this recipe if from a local chef here in Wichita and is excellent!
Slow-Cooker Pot Roast
Ingredients:
·        a good chuck roast
·        vegetable oil
·        beef broth
·        1 C. red wine
·        1 onion, diced
·        garlic, minced
·        1 C. carrots, chopped
·        2 russet potatoes, cubed
·        thyme
·        rosemary (optional)
·        salt and black pepper
Directions:

Brown the roast in the vegetable oil until very dark on both sides. Add it to the Crock-Pot, then pour in the red wine. Add vegetables, garlic, herbs and spices (except salt). Then add broth until everything is barely covered. Cover and set to high. Cook for 8 hours. Season with salt and additional pepper, if needed. Enjoy!
Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
I am a big fan of chuck.  Not smoked but as a pot roast.  I may give smoking one a try someday.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
Dave, have you done a roast in your Instant Pot?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

tomd8

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »
Ken - Looks great and moist.  I've considered smoking a roast to see how it would come out but would need the veges and the brown gravy to complete the dish.  This thread and the feedback is great info to give it a try.  I make a similar recipe stove top as was posted above but taking less time. Aprox 3.5 hrs total time, and I add potatoes (bag of small red or baby gold), carrots and a box of mushrooms after 2.5 hrs so they don't get too mushy.  Make brown gravy at the end and it's a great meal.  I even make small packets of meat and gravy and freeze for use on my Sunday egg sandwich....yes I love it that much.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:25:17 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »
I made another attempt with more success.  This time I used a mix of hickory and cherry and the flavor was better.   I stayed with a 24 hour dry brine of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika and brown sugar.  Next time I'll try a more complex rub that's worked for me before.  The cooking process was the biggest and best change.  I followed the suggestion of Sirsmokesalot.  Cooking at 225 to an IT of 185 was the magic number.  The meat was very tender and juicy.