Author Topic: Pork loin help pls  (Read 1922 times)

will615

Pork loin help pls
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
I need some advice on pork loins. I have smoked a couple and they are good but not great. I've read most of the posts and compiled the suggestions but the results are either overcooked but tasty or cooked but not able to shred (too tough, needed to be sliced). My observations: mine always cook a whole lot faster (final temp = 145) than the other posts. Today's (1/2)  loin was at 145 in just over 1.5 hours! Background: I brined using DM's recipe (so simple and so good!), 225 deg. on a summer's day. I guess my question is are loins to be compared with shoulders (= shredded for sandwiches, etc.) or are they a piece that should be sliced and served differently? The best loin that I've cooked was basted in olive oil and herbs and cooked to med. rare. Am I trying to do something that doesn't fit the piece? Loins are so cheap and I love pork!!!! Thanks for your advice.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork loin help pls
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
Are you talking about Tenderloins small diameter about ten inches long? Our are you cooking loins from the back, same muscle that is pork chops? Personally I prefer tenderloins on the grill not the smoker.

Loins do not shred effectively the are better sliced. Not sure where you are shopping for pork but I have never seen loins cheaper than pork butt.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
Will, pork loins are not good for shredding. Unlike a boston butt or a pork shoulder there is very little fat and connective tissue. Pork loins are best served sliced.

Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
Different muscle and won't "shred".

Smoke to the meats best "use" and you won't have high expectations and low actual results.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

will615

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! And yes, I too prefer to grill tenderloins. I will slice my loins in the future!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!