Author Topic: Canadian Bacon Project Smoke  (Read 4684 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Canadian Bacon Project Smoke
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:09:35 AM »
Today I followed Steven Raichlen’s Canadian Bacon recipe shown on this site. 
I have to admit it was pure blind faith.  Now that I’d searched the forum a bit there doesn’t seem to a lot of agreement on how to cure or smoke this stuff.  I plan to do the 5 day cure per the recipe and along with the apple wood smoke. Any thoughts or experiences.

kona77

Re: Canadian Bacon Project Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
 Ken-  I had my first Canadian bacon smoke a few weeks ago and posted an update in the thread tagged "Canadian Bacon in the Briner".. Initial bacon turned out great and I did another 9lb loin last weekend . Used the same process with a few changes. Have followed "POPS/DM" brine recipe with one change (3/4 cup salt instead of 1-full cup).. Let loin sit in brine for 12 days. Rinsed the loin and let it sit in cold water for 1 hour.. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and then smoked at 125 for 3 hours (apple chips) and finished at 225 until the loin hit 150..(about 5 hours total).. Turned out great..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »
I read your post and it's the long brine time that makes me question Raichlen's recipe.  I'm going to use his recipe this time as he's so respected.  Where did you get the 12 day recipe?

kona77

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:31 PM »

Ken-  The 12 day brine suggestion came from the Smoking Meat Forum that DM referenced in his post..I researched all the Canadian bacon threads I could find on the site and many folks used the 12 day POPS brine process. I did see some posts with different brine suggestions and time. Best of luck on your smoke.. Let us know how it turns out..
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136954/canadian-bacon-using-pops-brine-2nd-try
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
Half way through the brine and the aroma’s are great.  The star anise and fennel is really coming through.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:11:20 PM »
I am looking forward to hearing how this turns out. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
The bacon is in the smoker.  The image here is just out of the 5 hour brine and rinsed.  The aromas were intoxicating especially is you like fennel and star anise.  Some of the thyme did not rinse off so I just left it.

I referenced the Project Smoke recipe on this site and now realize that it's not easy to find.  Here is the path, Site Index, Forums/Blogs, Barbecue Bible, Canadian Bacon.  I'm trying to follow the recipe as written so I have a solid base to start from.

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
Out of the smoker.  Smoking time was a bit shorter than the recipe.  Time to let it cool, wrap and then into the fridge until tomorrow.

I wrapped the apple wood in a foil boat before smoking this time. It changed the way to wood burned.  It took much longer for smoke to show outside of the smoker.   The aroma from the smoking wood seemed to be nicer all the way through the smoke.  Tomorrow will see how things turned out.

kona77

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
 Ken-  Looks good and thanks for confirming where you got the recipe.. I was searching all over the forum and the on-line recipe book with no luck.. Interesting blend of spices/ingredients..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
Today was taste test time and the recipe passed with flying colors.  I cut a piece about 1/2 inch thick and warmed it in a non stick, lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.  It doesn't need any more than that.  The final smoking temp was 160 and that was plenty as this cut of meat shouldn't be dry.  The spice mixture as odd as it seams was wonderful.  The star anise seemed predominant during the brine but that was gone when I took it out of the fridge today.  I suppose many spice mixtures would work.  I was just as interested in the process as anything and that seems fine.  I served my sample with some Dijon mustard on the side and that was a good choice.  I recommend this recipe and will make it again.  Now I have to give a sample to my son in-laws to make sure they know nothing about smoking. 

mike1910

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
Looks great, Ken! I might have to give that a try myself. Thanks for sharinf
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
Nicely done Ken!
Best Greg

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
Here's another recipe that is similar but just a bit different.  I like the looks of the lower cooking temp and the same for the finished temp of 150.  Maybe next time?

https://nwedible.com/how-to-make-canadian-bacon-at-home/ 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
Wow, the Canadian Bacon looks awesome!

I love the flavor of black licorice which is similar to anise, but I have never used anise as an ingredient for anything. I think I would like it though.

Did you have any of the anise flavor during your taste test?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »
No anise flavor at all. Everything blended together.  Lots of the aroma during the brining though.