Author Topic: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!  (Read 21216 times)

mike1910

Re: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
That looks incredible Brian! Just some amazing looking dishes.  Thanks so much for sharing.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Thanks guys, were are sticking around the house, so getting a bit creative with whats in the freezers.

I have been posting these on my Facebook page with #cookforyourwife on them. Trying to motivate others to make a good meal.

The Ham & Cheese log was the only thing, made on a smoker and I did it at work in the Ole Hickory.

Ham & Cheese logs:
Pork butts cut to fit the grinder
Dust with the Basic Dry Cure Listed in My Bacon Posts
Course grind one pass
Layer ground meat in tub as it comes out of the grinder with High Temp Cheddar Cheese and a little Maple Syrup.
Mix well and stuffed into 3lb capacity muslin sausage casings
*I used the stuffing plate and large tube for stuffing burger bags to fill casings from the grinder
Smoked at 250 until an IT of 150, Ice bath until below 100 IT then cooled in fridger 24 hours before packing for the freezer.

It was all eyeball measurements, but turned out fantastic.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2020, 10:03:40 PM »
Did a turkey breast today. Sprinkled with my dry brine mix, let it sit for 30 min and put into smoker for almost 4 hours at 230 deg.  Still picked up a slight smoke flavor from the box even though no wood was added.  Turned out very moist and tender. Was happy with the results.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

BrianInOhio

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2020, 10:44:41 PM »
Dave that looks great!
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

mike1910

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2020, 08:10:23 AM »
Brian- thanks for sharing the recipe and the process. Really very interesting.
Dave- Great looking turkey breast! Nice job
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

BrianInOhio

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »
Mike I read a lot before attempting and also read people kept logs of what they smoked. I figured I’d do the same. What I learned from my first smoke was they were a little smokey so next time I’ll back off an ounce of wood. I checked them at 5 hrs and thought I could pull them but went ahead and closed the door for an additional 30 minutes. Gave some cold one to my father in law last night and he texted me they were good.
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
Hopefully I get these descriptions in the correct order, it has been a long time since I posted some pictures.

"Chicken Spaghetti" The official name is Chicken Rotel
Slaw Burgers
Low Country Boil
Ham & Cheese Log
Breakfast food, Biscuits, Venison Sausage Home Cured Bacon
Steak and Shrimp
Biscuit and Lemon Curd
Club Sandwich
Custard Pie
Brats and Caramelized onions
Swedish Pancakes with blue berries and lemon curd whipped cream

Stay healthy and don't starve

*** After 3 attempts I cant get it in order, you will have t o try and match them up. ***

Hi Brian,

Just a suggestion for your labeling/order issue, you could change the name of the pictures since the file names do show up on your post.  :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
This has turned out to be a great thread of cooks! Keep it up everyone! Share new stuff, your go to, whatever! Doesn’t have to be smoked or bbq, just keep posting or add to the post if you haven’t yet!

Great job all around! Seeing turkey the last few posts had me thinking of smoked turkey breast as well as some Disney style turkey legs!!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »
I finally took the time to take advantage of a nice cool but windy day (wind really helps keep my A-MAZE-N smoker going) to smoke some cheese.

I smoked two packs of Gouda, one pack of Jarlsberg, and a pack of string cheese. Now, the hard part of waiting a couple of weeks for the smoke to meld and even out before testing.

This was truly a quarantine smoke. You can see my make shift computer station in the background on the pic of the vacuum sealed cheese. :P
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
Gregg -

Are you only using the A-Maze-N pellet smoker unit, or is there some heat off the Smokin-it? I have yet to smoke cheese, I’m sure my wife would love it.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
I only use the A-MAZE-N unit. I have a pellet/dust maze, a 6" tube, and a 18" tube for long smokes.

This time I used the tray. I take the smoke box out and set it right next to the hole in the bottom of the smoker to get as much air flow as I can. It ran fine for a good 4 hours and then the smoke did go out on me. I think that I need to get one of those aquarium pumps like the Bella smoker has and position the tube to blow some gentle air on the tray/tube to prevent it from going out.

Even with the tray, you have to be careful not to get the heat up too high as the tray/tube alone will get you close to the 90 degree range where your cheese will start melting.

I don't have a cold plate, but I do use frozen soda bottles on the very lowest shelf to help keep the heat down. You can use a tray filled with ice too, but you have to make sure that you seal it really tight because you don't want the moisture from the melting ice to get into the smoke chamber as moisture on the cheese is not good.

I give mine a fairly good does of smoke for 4 hours to get a good deep smoke flavor on the cheese. But, if you do this it will be pretty strong right out of the smoker, so packaging and letting the smoke flavor penetrate into the cheese and spread out more evenly is necessary. If you try a piece right out of the smoker, you will think that you ruined it, but you didn't. It just needs a good two week rest. And for hard cheeses, the longer you can let them age in your fridge the sharper that they will become. I have some aged cheddar in the bottom of my fridge that is over two years old. I only share that with VERY special people. :)

The string cheese on the other hand should be eaten fairly quickly after the two week wait. I would say you would want to eat it within a couple months or so as that will not age like a cheddar.

I am not a cheese smoking expert by any means, but I have smoked a fair amount of it and really enjoy it. Pairs really well for a wine tasting if you like wine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

barelfly

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
THanks for the info Gregg! That seems like an easy way to get some great smoked on cheese! Will have to get one of those tubes!

I had the 3D going today, did a 3:1 dry brine with brown sugar/demara and salt over night, rinsed and patted dry then back into the fridge for 5 hours for pellicle formation. Into the smoker with some peach wood. I read a few posts recently of doing a pre-warmup with the box, so I set for 150* for 30-45 minutes and then bumped up the temp to 200* until the salmon reached about 135*. I really liked this method, seemed to provide a nice stream of light smoke vs what can happen when going with the set temp right away. Definitely going to use this method in the future.

But, really enjoyed the salmon and grilled asparagus tonight!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2020, 08:21:50 AM »
Beautiful color on that salmon. I bet it tasted just as good as it looks!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Here’s my next cook, which is a 3 step process and takes some time, but is fun and turns out good stuff! QVQ process I’ve read about here and other sites. Smoked a chuck roast this morning, rubbed with s/p, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, and ancho chile powder. Smoked to an internal temp of 130* then bagged it and vac sealed and into a water bath to Sous Vide at 135* for 48 hours. So, Saturday, I’ll pull it from the bath and ice shock it and then use the Weber Kettle on Sunday with a 350* fire to reset the bark and bring back to 135*. Will slice and serve with au jus from the liquid left in the bag.

Will post the final pics on Sunday!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »
Jeremy- I’m extremely intrigued as to how that turns out. Don’t know that I’ve ever heard of that 3 part process so I can’t wait to hear the results. I’m trying to figure out what to make this weekend. We’re finally seeing some decent weather, (upper 50’s) so something needs to find its way into the smoker! Although, ribs on the old Weber kettle don’t sound bad either. We’ll see
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3