Author Topic: Need/Want a new meter...  (Read 2473 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Need/Want a new meter...
« on: November 12, 2020, 02:48:47 AM »
What's the go-to meter these days?  I'm thinking I'm ready to try a new one...  I'm murder on probes, so one with hardy and/or cheap probes would be nice.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

Re: Need/Want a new meter...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »
Larry,

Another board I frequent, the updated FireBoard has been spoken highly of. Not sure if that’s in the price range though.

Are you just wanting it for temping or would you use it with charcoal/stick burner? I ask because of the ability to add the fan port to the grill, and FireBoard has this. I’ve actually thought of getting this for my Weber kettle.

But, if you are wanting very simple, thermo...my trusty Chef Alarm is great! It only accepts one probe but I just use multiple probes and either tag them or remember what side is what and plug in each. It’s not WiFi/Bluetooth, so that’s the other thing. It’s just a simple thermo/alarm and has worked great for both my kettle and the 3D (I use the Chef Alarm and the built in thermo on the 3D for briskets/pork butts to monitor  multiple spots).

So - what functions are you looking for and what is the price range?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
I have the Chugod 6 probe and it has worked excellent for me. Works great for grilling or smoking. It is accurate and durable and with 6 probes it should last a long time. I have not had any issues with the probes or the unit. It is a good value at just over $50. It also comes with a nice storage case as well. It is bluetooth with a user friendly app for monitoring from your recliner. See photos. It is available on Amazon.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:50:59 AM »
Thanks!  I'll check those out...

Regarding the question, "So - what functions are you looking for and what is the price range?"

I don't actually have a hard limit on the cost, though $50 is better than $200 and above that better be something quite special.  :)

I like the idea of being able to check it on my phone from within my office (10 feet from the smoker) and my living room or bedroom (20 feet from smoker) and have an alarm that will wake me up at a set temperature.

At least 2 probes would be preferred...  more probes than that really just translates to having more that I can break before having to buy more.  :)

I dislike technology that requires interfacing with a website for it to work as this means you don't really own the product and it can/will quit working as soon as that company chooses for it to, they get bought, or go out of business.

I'm using this exclusively with my SI, so no need for fans, chamber probes, etc.

Thanks again!
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

OldeSmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
I don’t ever use 6 probes with my Chugod. 2 is usually max. The nice thing is if I break one I’ve got lots of spares.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
Larry,

Here is your perfect thermo then!

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

There is a updated version of this, called the SmokeX - which has more probes, but you can easily buy probes. I’ve had the same probes from Thermoworks since I purchased the Chef Alarm I use. Even the pit probe I have for the kettle is alive and kicking with all the use. There is also a stand alone gateway device you can purchase if you are wanting WiFi connectivity, called the gateway.

Reviews seem to be pretty good from what I’ve researched. And, all the Thermoworks products I have, they all work great.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:49:44 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 12:07:21 AM »
I have been so tempted to buy a smoke because they look really nice.  The thing that keeps stopping me is that they come with the chamber probe and that's just a throw-away item for me.  If they'd sell me one with a substitute meat probe I'd probably do it.

Norwester

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 03:12:36 AM »
I have been so tempted to buy a smoke because they look really nice.  The thing that keeps stopping me is that they come with the chamber probe and that's just a throw-away item for me.  If they'd sell me one with a substitute meat probe I'd probably do it.
I don't use the chamber probe with mine. I'll use another meat probe if I'm smoking more than one chunk of meat but I don't know if they'd sell one like that. Wouldn't hurt to ask though, they do have great customer service.
Jeff from central Oregon

Mr.Ed

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
I've got a ThermoPro TP-25 (https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07Z7HDNC4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=thermopro+wifi&qid=1605204519&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A39VTLCPMNRL3Z&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFEODQ1VjdQUEI0STEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MzM1NDQzQkpMREtKSkU2UUs5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3OTY3NThXRjFDSUgyUTdFTDgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl). It has 4 probes, I verified them with boiling water and ice water, and the bluetooth range is decent.

Both units are good, I have the ThermoPro TP-25 and never had any problems. Now that I have converted my 3-D to 3-D WIFI I haven't used it as much.  Works great in the kitchen range too.
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

barelfly

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
@LarryD

Thermoworks is having a sale on the Smoke, 30% off, today (Nov 18 only).  Not sure if you are on their email list.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
NOTE:  Everything on Thermoworks site 18% off today only. (Thu, 19-NOV)

I've been looking at the Thermoworks products for a while now.  They're a little bit pricey and they don't have an option to buy without the air probe which was a turn-off.

I finally decided to go ahead and do the purchase and I have no regrets.  I ended up getting the Signals meter because I wanted to be able to connect/control with my cell phone.

Why did I choose Thermoworks?
  • The products have a great reputation
  • I'm notorious for ruining probes.  These probes are night and day better built than anything I've used previously.
  • Reading their site and customer comments there were occasions where folks reported frustration and problems.  The proactive response was really unmatched.
  • I bought this with the standard 10% discount code for signing up to their email list knowing that they are putting stuff on sale right now.  I asked them about my risk and they assured me that if it went on sale within 2 weeks of purchase to just contact them and they'd take care of it.  It did, I did, and they did with zero difficulty.  Can't be happier.  :)

barelfly

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 11:19:48 PM »
Nice pick up - Fancy one too! Glad you are happy with it. And hopefully you enjoyed the jelly belly’s in the shipping box   ;D
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 12:19:32 AM »
And hopefully you enjoyed the jelly belly’s in the shipping box   ;D

I thought those were a nice touch, but I'm diabetic so I'm going to skip them.