Author Topic: Bought a cord hanger, didn't like it, made it better  (Read 9587 times)

JDSwan87

Bought a cord hanger, didn't like it, made it better
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
So I bought a cord hanger for my #2, I didn't like the function of it so I modified and duplicated it. The cord hanger as I received it is designed to hang off the top. I didn't like that because the cord is loose. I shortened the hanger and bent a new tab on it.  Also got slightly longer M4x.7 screws and corresponding flat washers. See the pics...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:51:48 AM by JDSwan87 »
Josh=== Michigan/Toledo, Ohio border

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Bought a cord hanger, didn't like it, made it better
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »
Awesome retrofit. I like your version better too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
+1, However, putting the cover on and off was such a PITA with the cord hangers on that I am going without.  Maybe with this design the cover doesn't hang up as much?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
I don't have a cord hanger. But, when I use my cover I just roll up the cord and lay it on top of the smoker before putting the cover on.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

JDSwan87

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »
+1, However, putting the cover on and off was such a PITA with the cord hangers on that I am going without.  Maybe with this design the cover doesn't hang up as much?

I have a cover and this mod doesn't hamper use of the cover what-so-ever. Cover goes on easily and isn't any tighter than it was without the cord wrap.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »
That's good to hear Josh.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:10:35 PM »
Ya, that'll work, good idea!
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
I have two cord hangers, that hang from the top on either side (back corners), as the original instructions recommended. I loop the cord between the two. I have no trouble getting the SI cover over (I have a #1). I'm not totally understanding the advantage of the retrofit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:20:18 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
I have the cord hangers installed from the top, as I believe they were intended, but cannot get the small screws tight enough to keep them in place. Every time I start to wrap the cord one or both hangars pulls in as shown in the photo.

I also find it hard to install the cover over these hangers and actually bent the bottom in slightly so it wouldn't get hung up on the cover.  I would prefer to have the hangers mounted lower on the box thinking that would help getting the cover on and off. I'm just not sure how to attach them lower without taking the top off the cabinet and probably voiding my warranty.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
I have the cord hangers installed from the top, as I believe they were intended, but cannot get the small screws tight enough to keep them in place. Every time I start to wrap the cord one or both hangars pulls in as shown in the photo.

I also find it hard to install the cover over these hangers and actually bent the bottom in slightly so it wouldn't get hung up on the cover.  I would prefer to have the hangers mounted lower on the box thinking that would help getting the cover on and off. I'm just not sure how to attach them lower without taking the top off the cabinet and probably voiding my warranty.

Yeah, your cord hooks are different than mine. Mine screw in at the top corner, from the top, not from the back like yours. Actually, they look about the same as yours. I used the screws that were already in the back, and they are tight and don't rotate around like yours. Must just be a difference between the models. I have a #1, so maybe the #1 cover has more extra space for the hangers than the #3 cover does.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:43:17 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JDSwan87

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »
I have two cord hangers, that hang from the top on either side (back corners), as the original instructions recommended. I loop the cord between the two. I have no trouble getting the SI cover over (I have a #1). I'm not totally understanding the advantage of the retrofit.

When I bought my cord hanger, I only got one hanger and it was ~$8. I see now they have revised the listing to be a pair of hangers.

Also, the cord hangers are different from the #1 vs #2/#3. 

For those of you having trouble getting the screw to go in, you're going to have to get a little longer screw. It's an M4 X .7 screw, I forget the length I used.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:50:05 PM by JDSwan87 »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
I also thought that the slot in the hanger didn't provide enough surface area with such a small screw head, so, I added a washer.

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
I have edited my post above, and added a picture. Turns out mine DO screw in from the back. A washer makes sense. And a longer screw.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
I have edited my post above, and added a picture. Turns out mine DO screw in from the back. A washer makes sense. And a longer screw.
Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in my future.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »

FYI - metric screws in the back.  M4-.70 x 8.  Probably could go M4-.70 x 12, with the cord hanger and washer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!