Author Topic: Dry Cured Bacon  (Read 21166 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry Cured Bacon
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
It dries the surface to better accept smoke. Prolonged time in the fridge, exceding 24 hours, dries the meat and fat improving texture.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »
Well, the bacon cured, rested overnight in fridge after a rinse and smoked today with a sweet blend of chips and a small chunk of sugar
Maple. I did a off/on  process on the smoker, trying to get as much smoke as possible. Overall, 3 hours before it came to temp. I don’t have the cold smoke gear so went this way. The nibble test showed a good hammy texture. A little salty but this was on the end so hoping once it’s sliced up it’s not so bad.

Can’t wait for the weekend after it’s set up a bit in fridge for slicing.

Thanks for the info and answer to my questions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:19:52 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

lanailife

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »
That looks amazing!

lanailife

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2023, 04:12:53 PM »
Here is something, Cure it but don't smoke it. Complete the dredging in cure then zip it up with a few tablespoons of crushed garlic, some chopped fresh herbs of you choosing and some black pepper.  Seal it up and do the seven day flip. Rinse and pat dry(little bits may stick that's OK) throw on a bit more pepper. Poke a few holes in it to run some butchers twine through it and hang for additional drying in your pantry, or any cool dry place. You just made Panchetta Tessa, a dry cured Italian bacon. For Tessa I prefer a three pound piece of belly it gets used in about six meals.  The Italians also roll Panchetta into stylish rounds of spiraled belly but that's a different lesson.

This is my next thing to try. Has anyone on the forum tried this, or things similar? Lately I have been watching YouTubes of making homemade capocollo and other dry cured meats. Fantastic stuff. I want to make it all.