Author Topic: Tubs For Cleaning Racks  (Read 5457 times)

BoatworksToday

Tubs For Cleaning Racks
« on: May 24, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
Hey Gang!  Got my new smoker in a couple weeks ago and it's been awesome!  Very happy with deciding to go with the 3D wifi ;-) Our dishwasher crapped out on us so until I get that replaced does anyone know of any plastic tubs that are large enough to fit the grill racks laying down so they can soak?  I've searched Amazon without any luck (they're all an inch or so too narrow :-/).

Thank you!

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: Tubs For Cleaning Racks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »
I have not found any thing that works but...
I have a #3 and I use the large contractor black trash bags from Home Depot. I carefully lay the racks in so I don't tear any holes, lay the bag on a flat service, add enough hot water to cover the racks and some dish soap and tie the bag shut. Just keep the open end above the water level.
I live in Arizona, I put the black bag on a patio table in the sun, it gets extremely hot. After soaking for a day they clean really easy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:28:28 AM by azbohunter »
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
Like Azbohunter, I use black plastic trash bags. But I spray them with regular oven cleaner and let them soak overnight. Easy to clean then.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

pappabear

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »
  I have a #2, and I went to Lowes and found one that fits for like $10. Take a tape measure with you to measure the inside.. not the outside. All measurements on tubs are outside dimensions.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

BoatworksToday

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
That’s what I’ve found. @larryD the width looks like it should work but length is very close to actual rack size. I thought I had some planting trays that would fit but the sides taper down to the bottom of tray so at the top racks fit, but not so much at the bottom.  Can’t tell if the tray walls are 90 degree 🤔

I gotta believe there’s something out there just haven’t found it yet lol 😝

pappabear

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:30 PM »
Just go to Lowes or Home Depot. They will have something that fits.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 12:10:47 AM »
Just go to Lowes or Home Depot. They will have something that fits.

The trick is getting something that isn't the size of a bathtub.  :)   A tub only 5-7" deep would be nice.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Lipster

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
Look for the plastic storage containers that slide under beds.
Walmart, target, etc.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
I have a #2, so I'm not sure if it would fit a #3 rack, but I went to my local ACE Hardware and got a black plastic mortar pan for under $15, perhaps under $10. It is longer than I need for my racks, but as I said, I'm not sure how long #3 racks are. But you could always bring the rack with you, or just measure it. I'm sure Lowes and HD have the mortar pans, too. Otherwise the under-the-bed bins is a good idea.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »
I hit home depot and lowes yesterday and neither have a bin that is quite right for the size of the #3 racks.  I did find a small tote at Lowes that I picked up to see if it'll just barely work.  Its length is right at 21.5" which is the rack length.  I'm hoping it will work with the racks just at a slight angle which would be good for soaking anyway.  I can actually fit the racks in my dishwasher, but I would like to soak them first sometimes.  I also wanted the bin so I can use it for prep, such as when I rub the 6 racks of ribs I'm smoking tomorrow.

I'll report back on how this one does...

prudentsmoker

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
Sounds like this might be a potential revenue stream for Smokin-It. Just a thought.
Brian from Wichita

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »
Sounds like this might be a potential revenue stream for Smokin-It. Just a thought.

Yes, it could be...  I used the tote I bought for rib prep today and it worked beautifully for that...  I could easily lay full racks of ribs 3 across in the tote which made it super easy to prep them and deliver them to the smoker.  If I could then use it to soak the smoker racks afterwards that would be even better.

It looks like multiple industries have tooled to produce their products at 14 x 21 instead of 15 x 22.

NVW-SSV

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
I'm using one of these from Lowe's and it works.  drywall mud tub

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711

$6.

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »
I'm using one of these from Lowe's and it works.  drywall mud tub

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711

$6.

26 x 20 and not terribly deep... that looks perfect!  Thanks... I'll have to hit the store and see if they carry them here.