Author Topic: First wings  (Read 1860 times)

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
First wings
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
I did a batch of wings on Sunday between church and the NFL games. Test run for Super Bowl Sunday maybe. Used a very simple recipe from Jeff of SMF. I brined wings, which I got at Costco, overnight in 2 qts water, 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar and added a good splash of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I only did 20 pieces, mixed drum and flats so 2 qts was adequate. Left in fridge overnight, before church rinsed the wings, patted dry, bathed them in Louisiana Hot Sauce and then a real heavy coat of Jeff's Original Rub. Did the later in 1 gal zip lock, messaged them all around to get a good even coating on all the wing parts and put back in fridge till after church. Put them in the #3 on next to top rack with PID set at 250, added shy 2 oz piece of pecan cut off a very hard and very dry limb and set timer for two hours. At 1 1/2 hours I checked them and they were running betwen 170 and 178 with Thermopen. Cranked up the gas grill to high and waited till it was 400 by gauge in hood and put the wings on there, rolled them over 3 times but never left them on one side more than 45 seconds to a minute so that was a fast crisp up job.
Wings had great flavor and perfect smoke, skin was not crisp but not chewy at all either..very easy bite threw. Could have been hotter for me, I did not sauce the first batch I ate, second batch I added a little very hot home made sauce I had in refer, that made them great.
I will certainly do them again, maybe next time I might sauce some of them before going on the grill? And I will add a little more hot sauce or purchase a "hotter variety"
I smoked for several years in a MES 30 using a AMNPS and dust or pellets. The SI has been a little bit of a learning curve and at first I wasn't sure. This past week I also did a rack of baby backs, not sure if I got it just right or they were better ribs but they were "really good". I have had some before that that left me questioning "me of the smoker"
Only picture I took cause my fingers were pretty messy!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
Re: First wings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:41 AM »
Louisiana hot sauce is not really that hot, if you want something hotter, try different brands, some of them will light you up.
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: First wings
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »
Louisiana hot sauce is not really that hot, if you want something hotter, try different brands, some of them will light you up.
Agreed and that is on the agenda..thanks
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!