Author Topic: Thanksgiving turkey in the #3  (Read 1289 times)

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Thanksgiving turkey in the #3
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
The turkey with Slaughter House Brine and Cure #1 came out great. Being great grand parents, we have had a lot of turkey prepared in many different ways. My wife said it ranked at or very near the "best ever". Meat around the drumsticks and thighs was a little red but I assured everyone it was from the brine and that is was done. It was exceptionally moist and tender and would have to say I would certainly do it again. I mixed butter and Jeff's Original Rub together and loaded the breast under the skin and covered the entire bird with it before it went into the Smokin-It #3 at 250 with 3 1/2 ounces of cherry/hickory. I also basted it with the same butter/Jeff's Rub 3 or 4 times and the color was awesome. Took a total of 4 hours to get to 165 and because some family was late, I let the bird rest loosely covered with foil for about and hour. It was still plenty hot!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!