Author Topic: MY Jerky fan and venison jerky (1st attempt)  (Read 2511 times)

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
MY Jerky fan and venison jerky (1st attempt)
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
I have had my #3 for over a year and had never attempted jerky. I recently returned from a archery hunt where I had arrowed a nice buck and made the rounds into jerky meat, the processor cut it all 1/4" thick for me so saved me some work. I pretty much used Pork Belly' instructions https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1831.msg10800#msg10800 for Dry Cured and Cold Smoked. To simplify my first attempt I used High Mountain Original Jerky Mix, smoked at 110 (with PID) using Amazen Pitmaster dust in AMNPS (1 row) burned about 1 1/2 hours with out the fan and then ran the fan with no smoke for about 7 hours total. I did 1 1/2 pounds of venison and it yielded about 50% jerky. My wife and I both really think it is good, we all have different tastes and I would prefer a little sweeter jerky so will explore before next attempt but overall very pleased.
I built my jerky fan similar to what others have done using this fan, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OXTWZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and 4" PVC plumbing parts and some poly fill for a filter to hopefully keep the fan cleaner. All the help that is available on this site is a great asset for learning, appreciate the help!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Lonzinomaker

Re: MY Jerky fan and venison jerky (1st attempt)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
Looks good. I really like using that fan, just bought 2 more to make another dryer for me and one for a friend.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

azbohunter

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »
Looks good. I really like using that fan, just bought 2 more to make another dryer for me and one for a friend.
Should have given you credit for the fan idea but I couldn't remember where I saw it or who posted it. Thanks Dave, it works great and is super quiet!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
Nice buck. The link provided to the fan doesnt appear correct. I like your setup & would like to purchase one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:49:46 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

azbohunter

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
Nice buck. The link provided to the fan doesnt appear correct. I like your setup & would like to purchase one.
Thanks on the "nice buck comment" Walt. I checked the link on the fan and it worked for me. PM me if you want and I will send you more info.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
The link does work. The fan linked to is a bare fan. You have to buy a 4 in PVC cap, cut a 3 in hole in cap and bolt the fan to cap.  I used black PVC, but I like the white that azbohunter used too.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
Thanks. The square frame threw me off.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
Glad my post worked out for you. That is a nice buck well done on that. I was curious what your total investment was on making the fan. I thin you should do a separate post on the fan build and include pictures and links. I'm sure lots of folks want a jerky fan but it is not in the budget.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

azbohunter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »
Thanks Brian, I appreciate the comment on the buck. At 75 and starting bow hunting at 23, I have taken many bucks but this one, although not a large rack, was by far the biggest bodied deer I have ever taken. Estimated live weight by processor was 280-300 pounds. Lots of jerky :)
I can surely do that on the fan, actually I found the idea on this site. I think I had around $30 in it.