Author Topic: Finally have my #3 dialed in for the way "I" do salmon  (Read 3356 times)

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Finally have my #3 dialed in for the way "I" do salmon
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
One of my favorites to smoke has always been salmon or kokanee and for years I used a Masterbuilt cheapo with a PID, mailbox mod and AMNPS and it always produced good results. A few months ago I acquired a used #3 which also had a PID with it, I was excited to give it a go. I did several different meats with good results but I could not get my fish to come out the way I was accustomed to and the way I like it. I had always smoked a 3 step method starting at 100 for 2 hours, 140 for another 2 hours and then 175 till fish hit internal temp of 145. I would always start this by letting my fish set after brining until a nice pellicle  had formed. With this method I never got over done fish and never got albumin or white protein covering fish.
My first few attempts in the #3 were not so great. I was having a hard time getting smoke at the low temps and having a hard time controlling the temps that low.
I did AT several times following suggestions on this site and still was having trouble holding steady low temps. Out of frustration I tried a AT with #3 already up to temp and bingo..I now am a very happy camper.
Yesterday I smoked up a batch, ambient temp at start of smoke was 75 and at end of smoke it was 100 degrees (ambient not in the smoker) welcome to Arizona!!
I left the smoke box out, put a row and a half of dust in the AMNPS and set it over the intake hole, put the fish in without drying it for pellicle, set program for 3 hours at 100, 2 hours at 140 and 175 till 145 IT and off. It came out perfect! One other thing I did was add a 1 1/4" diameter fan out of computer to exhaust vent. The fan fit perfectly into a piece of 1 1/2 pvc. I don't know if that is needed but it worked.
Liking my #3 better with every use..it is so easy and cleans up so easily, the old M/B is going to have to find a new home.
ON Edit: just wanted to add that even though there was 30 degrees and less between ambient temp and smoker set temp to start...it held very close to 100 for 3 hours, of course I had it in the shade of the old orange tree!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:51:47 PM by azbohunter »
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Finally have my #3 dialed in for the way "I" do salmon
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
You sure know how to hurt a guy with pictures.  Lol. Glad things are starting to work the way you want.  My buddy and I plan on trying for some Kokes the middle of next week. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

azbohunter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
I have to wait till June 24th before I am in Koke waters but in the mean time, I have stripers :)  Did this yesterday..but it is getting to hot here, had to quit early.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »
Nice looking fish!  Glad you have the 3 dialed it to your liking!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 05:35:34 PM »
Nice fish!  Nice hat, too!  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

azbohunter

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
Nice fish!  Nice hat, too!  ;)
Assuming you like the camo hat ;) I do too!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
Assuming you like the camo hat ;) I do too!

Yep.  Great shade of camo.  You might even say it made camo great again! lol!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!