Author Topic: Help! Controller screen just went blank and smoker won't turn back on.  (Read 3135 times)

JCMeex

Just threw in a 2lb ribeye.  Started programming the cook and the screen wen blank and the smoker won't turn on.  checked circuit breakers as well as the outlet and all working just fine.  Any ideas?  I guessing my PID is broken.
Jon

LarryD

• 3DW
Ugh... that sucks. :(   I wonder if there is a fuse to check?  Hopefully that or a loose connection where you can self-repair it.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JCMeex

Yeah looked for a fuse, checked outlet and breakers.  Guessing something shorted out.  Looks like I will be replacing the controller. 
Jon

LarryD

• 3DW
Yeah looked for a fuse, checked outlet and breakers.  Guessing something shorted out.  Looks like I will be replacing the controller.

Shoot an email to Steve...  he can give you some troubleshooting steps.  It may just be a loose wire inside that can be reattached or something else burned up that is far less expensive.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JCMeex

Thanks for the response. I will shoot Steve an email.
Jon
Jon

yankee

Same thing happened to me I was doing  two racks of ribs power came on I hit set button it stayed like half in power went out won’t come on so if I have to buy a controller can I switch to wi fi  if so what’s involved how hard is it if not I don’t see a controller for sale on the website
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:15:34 PM by yankee »
Tony

Lipster

Alex, I would like to buy a period, please.

yankee

Now that we heard from the comedian............ does anyone know what a controller costs........... are you happy pal
Tony

EFGM

Tony, if I remember correctly the Big Red WiFi controllers were either $259 or $269. They are not hard to change out and there are instructions posted here and come with as well. If products are missing from website it means they are not in stock. Keep checking and when you see it appear you may order if you choose.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Tony -   You will have to get with Steve to see if he has replacement controller boards or if they have to be ordered. As for switching to wi-fi, get with Steve.  If he has some controllers, and your SSR is good as well as other components, installing a new controller should be plug and play simple.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
Re: Help! Controller screen just went blank and smoker won't turn back on.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
FWIW, when this happens it's likely just a bad splice connection where the external power cord connects to the internal power supply. Super easy fix, but yes, ping Steve.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana